Thursday, September 15, 2011

Hans Zimmer - This Land

"Apollo embodies the transcendent genius of the principium individuationis; through him alone is it possible to achieve redemption in illusion. The mystical jubilation of Dionysos, on the other hand, breaks the spell of individuation and opens a path the maternal womb of being." (The Birth of Tragedy, p. 97)



Although I don't think that Neitzsche would consider The Lion King as a tragic myth, and no doubt it would fall under the category of optimistic, I think the raw emotion of this score transcends the limits of the cartoon. The piece overwhelms me alternately with sorrow and hope, I forget its intentions as a background, and the music itself invades my mind. When I think of it in terms of the context of the movie, I can understand the theme of moods, the characters as illusions. The end of the piece, however, is what disqualifies it, and the The Lion King, as a true tragedy. The chanting and jubilation of the chorus implies hope and redemption, that the protagonist will find a way to prevail his circumstance, and Simba does.

No comments:

Post a Comment