Thursday, September 22, 2011

Enigma - Return To Innocence



"In order to display that content as a purely human one and dictated by the feeling: so also have we to cut away from the verbal expression all that springs from, and answers to, these disfigurements of the purely human and feeling-bidden; and to remove it in such a way that this purely human core shall alone remain" (Wagner on Music 197).
I won't pretend to know what the "purely human core" is that Wagner speaks of, I do however know that unspeakable feeling of being described by sound. When I feel lost in a song it is as though I am without form and connected to a glimmer of that shining thing that hums within us all and reverberates off our chests, to be answered by the great call of the universe. I see the failings of language everyday and experience my shortcomings in conveying what it is I 'truly' mean. This song is mostly music and chanting with very few sung words. I have always felt that this song did an excellent job of depicting the fleeting nature of life; the rapidity of age and the ceaseless drive of change that enfolds us all and pushes us beyond our control, to the rhythms of life that ultimately and inevitably end in death. This song is like a memory of what Wagner is talking about; a ghost of that core; for it is unlikely that we can hold onto our meanings any more than we can hold onto a flowing stream or the fickle wind. I think Wagner is right, though, that we have to "cut away from the verbal expression" so that we may summon the voice singing within us of our pure form.

No comments:

Post a Comment