Thursday, September 22, 2011

D'Angelo "Spanish Joint"

"And if so I ask myself: What is it that my whole body really expects of music? For there is no soul. I believe, its own ease: as if all animal functions should be quickened by easy, bold exuberant, self-assured rhythms; as if iron, leaden life should lose its gravity through golden, tender, oil-smooth melodies. My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding-places and abysses of perfections: that is why I need music" (Nietzsche Contra Wagner 664).


Nietzsche argues that Wagner's music makes him sick. When he hears it, every part of him is physiologically disturbed--he "no longer breathe[s] easily...[his] foot feels the need for rhythm, dance, march." He argues that this type of music has no soul. It lacks "its own ease." Whereas, Wagner's music requires of the body a need for rhythm--Nietzsche expects music to already possess a "easy, bold, exuberant, self-assured rhythm." Nietzsche expects music to require nothing external, but rather to be already so complete that it makes us experience our nature more efficiently, "as if all animal functions should be quickened." I chose D'Angelo's, "Spanish Joint," because each element of the music, bongoes, bass line, guitar riff even melody, in this song is rhythmic. Not rhythmic solely in the sense of keeping time--but rather its polyrhythmic layering fits together like a puzzle and for me, it is as if the beat never really falls but in a way supends itself on its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment