Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Case for Wagner/Phyllis Hyman

“Is it at all possible to be a better listener? – I bury my ears under this music, I hear the very reason of it. I seem to assist at its production…Has it been noticed that music makes the spirit free? That is gives wings to thought? That one becomes a musician?”

- The Case of Wagner (pg 6-7)





This video is taken from the Broadway musical “Sophisticated Ladies” featuring Phyllis Hyman. I choose this clip because it encapsulates the Nietzche meaning of music setting the spirit free. The opening lines of the song states, “What good melody? What good is music? If it ain’t possessing something sweet. It ain’t the melody. Not it ain’t the music. There’s something that makes the tune complete. If don’t mean it a thing if ain’t got that swing.” It is the swing of the music that frees the spirit and gives wings to thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment