Wednesday, March 16, 2011

More Vertigo



Essentially I am posting this because I can't get images or the emotional affect of Vertigo out of my head while listening to Tristan and Isolde. However, I am also posting this clip from the film as a response to our discussion on Tuesday as to whether from our contemporary positionality with can emotionally connect to opera in the way that Nietzsche did. I was hoping that by posting this it would give people another avenue by which to experience the music, although I recognize for those who have not seen the film it will still be difficult to connect to it based on a single clip.
But, oh well.
I don't want to give an entire plot synopsis of the film because it is rather complicated, but in this moment Scottie (James Stewart) is anxiously awaiting the return of Judy (Kim Novak) whom he is trying to transform into the woman, Madeleine, that he was deeply and obsessively in love with during her life and in her death. Judy, wanting to capture Scottie's love has agreed to perform these illusive and imitative transformations. For me the heart wrenching moment is when she comes out of the bathroom, with the music soaring and the spectral hazy green illumination, we see her yearning desire to be loved and then the ecstasy when she realizes she has fulfilled Scottie's desires for a masked reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment