Tuesday, March 1, 2011



For the first essay question we've been given I chose to write on the first prompt, the dialogue about a musical work. The piece I chose is called Knee Play III (video above), and it's one of the interludes between the acts of the opera by Philip Glass called Einstein on the Beach.

I thought it would be interesting to consider a Schopenhauerian view of the opera which was not negative, but positive (or at the very least neutral). The second philospher I utilized is Jerrold Levinson considering his views in, "What a Musical Work is". Although I'm not sure I exactly tackled the Platonic dialogue, some of the main points I discussed were subject matter of the opera, a Schopenhauerian view on Levinson's "pure sound structures", the opera's use of solfege syllables, and it's relation to the mass as a "better" form of music.

Also as a sidenote, I think the video portion accompanying the piece is somewhat interesting, but not strictly related to the opera itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment