Friday, February 25, 2011

Butler on Ownership

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v33/n05/judith-butler/who-owns-kafka

This is a short and recent piece written by 'our very own' Judith Butler. The article discusses the discussion on works of art as national or cultural 'assets.' The main focus is on Kafka as an 'asset' of Israel - so it would be very easy to imagine this scenario using Dylan. It does not deal with music explicitly - but it is a nice way to brush up on art as commodity with 'ownership' as well as Judith's thoughts on this (-- as well as your thoughts as to whether this can be applied directly to music, I don't mean for 'art' to be an identical domain for all 'arts')

Oh, and I also I wanted to thank Aaron very much for running the blog. I have no idea how you manage your time so well, but you should give me some tips. I really appreciate your work.

No comments:

Post a Comment